Thursday, June 26, 2014

Haus der Wannsee Konferenz and Don Juan!

SO, it's my last week and I've been neglecting this blog due to my anticipation! But I have done a few more interesting things this week...


First, I went to The House of the Wannsee Conference, which you've probably never heard of unless you're a WWII buff. But for the laymen, The Wannsee Conference was a conference between several Nazi officials during which "the final solution to the Jewish question" was carefully and meticulously laid out. And by that I mean the arrest, deportation, detention, and murder of the Jews of Europe was planned down to the letter. There is only one surviving copy of the minutes of this meeting and it is one of the only official documents that survived post-war Germany which outlines the exact means and process of the Holocaust. The interesting thing about the Wannsee Conference, though, is that it took place long after "the final solution" had begun to be carried out. Some historians theorize that the meeting was simply a self-important facade of some of the lower-level Nazi officials, as neither Hitler, Goebbels, Heydrich, or Himmel were in attendance and such a drastic decision couldn't have been made without them. It's possible (even likely) that the meeting was more of a recap for lower level officials who didn't get their orders directly from Hitler, but the importance of the Conference is unquestionable as it was this meeting that can show us today just how intricate and detailed were the intentions of the Nazi government to fully and completely eradicate the European Jewry.

So this the villa on Wannsee where the conference was held.

And the garden...

This is what the room used to look like...

And what it looks like today.

The view from the villa. Such a beautiful place!

I found Aslan!


I also decided to revisit some of my favorite sites in Berlin and I snapped this pic of Berliner Dom. 



The other thing I did recently was attend my first ever ballet! It was a modern production of Don Juan, inspired by Mozart's opera Don Giovanni. It was absolutely incredible! The performers were truly amazing. I can't wait until I can see another performance! Although it made me want very badly to see Mozart's Don Giovanni performed live because I never have, despite it being one of my favorite operas! Anyway, that's all I've got for now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment