Thursday, June 5, 2014

Berlin Dungeon, "The Sixties," and Altes Nationalgalerie!

I've actually gone out and done something! How about that?

Las Monday, I went to this attraction called the Berlin Dungeon. It's like a themed thrill house about the grisliest and creepiest of European history. Some of the characters were those famous figures of history like Henry the Eighth, Sweeney Todd, Guy Fawkes, and Jack the Ripper, others not so much...but it was a lot of fun. I love "scary" stuff, so this was pretty awesome. There are Dungeons is seven cities, one in San Francisco, so if you ever get a chance, I recommend it!

I also found a restaurant called "The Sixties" which serves American cuisine!

The Menu...full of pictures of the greats!

Wall mural with all the greats!

The interior of the restaurant.

And finally, my food! Bacon cheeseburger with fries and a chocolate shake! Yummy!!



Today, I finally visited the Altes Nationalgallerie, which houses the collection of sculptures by Rembrandt Bugatti along with some amazing artwork primarily by German artists. Here's some of the pictures I took, though they're bad quality since I took them with my iPhone as I forgot my camera.

"Die Prinzessinengruppe" by Johann Gottfried Schadow.




This painting called "The Wave" is absolutely beautiful. I couldn't stop looking at it...I'm not sure why. The contrast between the forboding and treacherous wave and the hopeful break of light...it feels like a metaphor for the soul. 



This beautiful sculpture depicts Pan and Psyche.

"Der Zug des Totes" by Spangenberg. This piece really struck me. The children there in the forefront, the old lady begging for a place among the dead. The pope that has to follow Death just like anyone else...wow. And Death looking cheery as he leads the dead onward.

Böcklin's "Isle of the Dead"
Really a quite beautiful piece.

This portrait also captivated me. It's a self-portrait with death lurking behind the artist. It makes me wonder, did the artist foresee tragedy in his life? What does he know that we don't? Maybe his loved ones die...maybe he feels his work won't be long sustained...maybe he has made a dangerous enemy. It's certainly an interesting piece.



This is the commemorative tomb of Alexander von der Mark, the eight year old of King Friedrich Wilhelms II. On the sarcophagus is a depiction of Hermes pulling Count Alexander toward the underworld while his mother Wilhelmina tried to hold him back. Atop the sarcophagus is a likeness of the Count himself, appearing to be asleep with a sword having slipped out of his hand and his helmet off his head. Above the sarcophagus are the Moirai, or the Fates. Lachesis is on the left holding the spear with which she identifies those who will die, Clotho in the middle spinning the threads of life, and Atropos reading from a book.













 These frescos were restored from their original location at Casa Bartholdy in Rome. They depict the story of Joseph.
Here in the background, we see Joseph tending to sheep. In the foreground, Joseph has been brought out of the well after being pushed in by his brothers and sold. Behind him, we can see Joseph's brothers staining his coat with animal's blood.

Joseph's brothers tell their father that Joseph has been killed. His mother mourns his loss.

Here we see Joseph's interactions with the wife of Potiphar.

Here Joseph interprets the servants' dreams.

Joseph interprets the King's dreams.






So tomorrow, I'm going to Wintergarten Theater to see a show called "Breakin' Mozart" which incorporates Mozart's music with break dancing. Saturday, I'm going to the Carnival of Cultures which should be a lot of fun. And Sunday, I'm taking a trip to Dresden! Anyway, I'll tell you all about it later! 

No comments:

Post a Comment